My First Week as an Au Pair in Boston

I can officially say that I have survived my first week as an Au Pair in Boston quite well. There are a few Questions I would answer regularly.

What are you concerned about?


Frankly I am concerned about driving for the first time, the traffic here is insane and way faster and unorganized than in Germany, I am feeling quite insecure when thinking about driving, so I guess it'll take me a while to get used to.

Is there anything you miss?


I miss cuddling my dog and being around my family in general. Just being able to call them or visit them is something you are so used to that you forget how valuable it is. And of course I miss my boyfriend, all the little things he did, hugging me or just being there when I needed him, it is weird to realize that suddenly you are all on your own.

What have you enjoyed most this week?


Getting to know the family and turning the room I would stay in into my room, I am not done yet and there are still a few tings come, but by now I am feeling very comfty and at home. You can look forward to a room tour.


What has the schedule been like?

I would wake up around seven and get ready to be done with everything at 7:30 to prepare breakfast for the youngest one and eventually feed her when she wakes up, after that I would play with her and clean up her dishes until my break from 10 to 1pm. When the older one comes home and the younger one has woken up from her morning nap we would go out and the Grandma would show me playgrounds, places to go grocery shopping and the city in general. My day ended at 5pm but I would stick around and play a little longer with the kids.


What are the little things that made you happy?


When the older one wanted to sit on my lap while playing, when another Au Pair asked me to go out to a Harvard Tour with her and when I finally arrived at the host family.
What made me really happy was the fact that they got me flowers on my first day and that I had a super comfty looking bed.




Are you happy with your decision to make an Au Pair year?

It changes from day to day, sometimes I wish I could pause everything here, teleport to my boyfriend or family, get a little hug and that secured feeling I am used to and then come back here to complete my adventure. I am torn between the safe and sound surrounding back home and the adventures unkown yet insecure and kind of scary life as a somewhat adult here. 

And that's it for this blogpost! If you have any questions please let me know in the comments. You can also follow me on my social medias, links will be in the top bar, or via Email: kirben97@googlemail.com. 

And as always: I hope you had an amazing week (and a wonderful weekend)
Love: Kiki

Comments