My Week in the Cultural Care Training School

Since a lot of Au Pairs are starting their year during the summer and I know I haven't really found a good Blogpost to prepare for it I thought I would tell you a bit about my week in the training school.

I arrived super tired and jet lagged on Monday afternoon, we had a warm welcome by the staff members and then went to our rooms after we put the luggage we didn't need into the luggage room downstairs. After we did our beds, unpacked a little, let everyone knew that we have arrived we ventured out to explore before Dinner. The training school has a little beach, so a few Au Pairs and I decided to take a walk to the beach.



We came back just in time to have Dinner in the Cafeteria. I am not gonna kid you, the food is cafeteria food, you can eat the salads and it is quite okay, but you would probably want to stay away from the meat. As soon as we got back to our room we would just drop dead in our beds and fall asleep instantly. During the night three more Au Pairs arrived, so be aware that just arrived Au Pairs might enter the room.

Tuesday
Since it is quite humid on long Island I did sweat a lot during the night, I woke up at 4, laid in bed util six and then took a shower, the showers are okay, due to all moaning. If you let them time to heat up you will be able to take a good shower in the morning (or the evening whatever you prefer). There are hairdryers so you don't have to bring one. I would advice you to bring a normal sized bottle of everything you need, because people will forget their own and you will end up giving everyone your shampoo, shower gel or conditioner. That way you will also have some for your first week in your host family and don't have to go shopping. Breakfast starts at 7, I would advice you to eat a lot of fruits and cereal, the bagels look tasty, but it is a trap, you need to toast them (there are two toasters so you can toast them) to make them taste nice, same with the bread. The cheerios are without Honey, so if you put Honey or sugar in they will be quite nice. Apples and Bananas are on display, you can take one each and take them to class with you. Classes start at 8, you don't need a pen or anything to write, they will tell you what you have to bring, I would usually bring some snacks, water and a jacket because the rooms are air conditioned and I got super cold. Tuesday and Wednesday are basically just school days, you will stay in class all day and work though the Au Pair workbook that you will get there. My advice to you would be to not be scared to talk English, we are all just learning, so talk, don't be afraid to make mistakes, don't be ashamed to talk with an accent, that just shows that you know another language and that you are putting effort into learning another one!
Thursday rolled around quite quickly and I was kind of looking forward to it, you would have a morning full of Red Cross First Aid Training which is quite fun. 

Thursday Afternoon, Also known as the big New York adventure. Bring a camera and find a group of friends that you will explore New York with! It was amazing to finally see "The Big Apple". 



In the evening you would want to make sure that you packed your bags and you are ready to go Friday morning to venture off to your Host Family. 

So here are my Key Tips:
You don't have to bring a hairdryer or Towels that will all be there,
Bring at least two jackets and a shirt/top for each day,
bring long trousers and flip flops (everyone will wear flip flops)
Take enough Dollars
Buy the Training School Jumper, it is amazing and a great Memory (it's 30$)
Be open and nice to everyone, they are in the same spot as you and just want to find friends
It is okay to forget names, I did that a lot and I still made friends
Bring Deodorant, a lot of deodorant, 
Even though the Beds are quite shitty, you will sleep like a Baby because of jetlag, 
Always take an apple or Banana from the meals in the cafeteria, 
don't drink the tab water, they will tell you it is good to drink, they are lying, take the one from the cafeteria and take a few bottles of water on the first day to refill them. 
The hot chocolate will spill over, just take your cup out before it does so, 
Don't under any circumstances eat the chicken. 

If you have any questions you can leave a comment, write me an email (kirben97@googlemail.com) or you can find me on my social media links in the top bar!

And as allways, I hope you are having an amazing week!
Love: Kiki

Comments