Au Pair Tips: Your Application!


If you are stumbling across my blog because you are planning on doing an Au Pair year and are stuck in the application process seeking for some motivation then you are just right.
Here are a few things I learned while writing my application and talking to host families afterwards.

Be Honest

Now that one might not come as a suprise, but in school you are thought to not show your weaknesses in your application and just point out your strenghts, but seeing that you have to answer so many questions you better stick to your honest oppinion and not try to please people with your answer. Make sure your application reflects you as a person and not what possible host families want to read. I am not saying you should write that you are a terrible cook and you get homesick pretty easily, but if they ask you should be honest by saying that you are not the best cook and you love your family a lot (which indicates that your weaknesses without you pointing it out).

Print out the questions

I printed out the questions and took them to school with me, making notes on how I want to answer them during History and German class (I was a good student I know). The more you think about it the more good answers you will find, that way you won't regret writing something poorly because you just want to fiish the application already.

Take your time

Noone wants to read an application that has been written in 5 Minutes. Take breaks while writing and prepare each question in advance so you just have to think about how to write it down and not about the actual question anymore. It took me nearly two weeks to finish mine and I took my time, if I was fed up with writing it I stopped and did something else and continued the next day or when I felt like it again.

Don't hold back

Write down every hobby of yours, what kind of music you like, your favorite sport at the moment, your favorite TV show everythig you can manage to fit in! If you played foodball when you were three until you were 5 put it in there, If you learned to play the guitar when you were 10 but can't play it anymore, doesn't matter write it down. The more things the family can relate to the higher is the possibility they will match you and want a Interview with you! Just stay honest, if you never played the piano don't say you have, you could write that you really want to learn it though!

Before sending it, print it!

By printing your application and reading over it you will probably find some typos, better ways of putting the sentence, even more thing to put in or decide against writing something. Just read it through one more time a few days after finishing it and you can be sure it is a good application!

Don't overthink

The application should present you, so don't overthink it too much, be you while writing it, try to go with what your guts tell you and make sure to not go over the top! It doesn't have to be perfect, it never will be, because different families have different needs, by portraying you and just you you can make sure to find the perfect match.

If you have any questions make sure to leave them in the comments below, you can find all of my social media links in the top bar.
I hope you all have an amazing week,
Love: Kiki

Comments