About the whole Body-shaming thing

I was taking a bath the other day listening to a german raido show and they mentioned "All about that Bass" as the "anti-body-shaming"-song of the year, mentioning how it tells teen girls that it is okay not to be size zero and that the song is bringing back confidence into a generation that is so full of self-doubt. Listening to the song fully and actually understanding the whole meaning of the song it left me doubting myself.
Am I too thin? Do boys think I am unatractiv, because I do not have a Kim K. like bum? Do guys really just look at my body like that?
So that is supposed to be THE song to give me confidence and make me feel good about myself? Definitelly not!
Let's be honest here, it is a good song, I've catched myself humming along to it and I won't stop listening to it, but I am starting to question it's meaning.
Isn't that what Body shaming is? Telling someone else that they should look a certain way?

If you ask me any healthy body is beautiful. Let's be real here, we all know that those size zero girls are probably starving or aren't healthy in some way (they might be suffering vitamin deficiency or other food related deficiencies) or they are completely fine and have a high metabolism and are not able to gain any weight. While sitting in the train to work yesterday I looked around and saw a young lady that ways way over weight and all I could thing was, that she is going to have a hard time with her knees and joints in general when she is older. Yes if you would have asked me I would say that she needs to loose weight as soon as possible, but not because I think it is ugly, but because being heavily overweight can have serious consequences for her body in a few years. Just as eating lots of fat can clog your arteries and you could die of it.

The whole point is that body-shaming is senseless, telling someone that they are fat is just as rude as telling someone they are too thin and look like a skeleton or a stick. Both is insulting and can hurt. But telling someone you are worried about their health and showing them what they might be doing to their body, the body we need to nourish and care of in order to live in it as long as possible, is a whole other thing.

If you ask me I like myself. I like my face and I've even grown to like my skin. Of course there are days that I just hate my face for showing the acne scarring that is still left or I curse myself for eating too much chocolate when a new breakout is evolving. But all in all I like my face, best with no makeup on. It's me , even the pimple that is forming on my nose because I ate too much chocolate (what is more like me than eating a tub of icecream while watching New Girl all cuddled up in my bed?!). 


And while everyone is complaining about their legs and ABS I am just sitting here wondering.
I have a Patella Dyplasie (My patella likes to wiggle around in my knee) and had a Herniated disc and I got back up and fought my way back, by now my knees are as good as they can be and my back has healed completely because I did my exercises and fought for it. There are still days that I can't really get out of my bed because everything just hurts from working out a little too much. There was not one day that I wasn't working on getting stronger the last month and now I look at myself and am proud of what I have achieved, so what is your excuse?!

Any healthy body is beautiful, and even if someone is heavily over or underweight, it is no excuse to make comments about it. You can have and express your concerns about that persons health to the person in a friendly way, otherwise it is none of your buisness. I am healthy, I have a somewhat strong body and I am just slightly underweight, which is fine. No reason to make me feel bad for working out because I am "overreacting" and "don't need to loose weight" or someone as thin as me "shouldn't be working out", you do you, I do me, ok?
Be kind, be you and do whatever makes you happy!


If you need motivation to pick yourself back up and get your crap back together you can read my previous blogpost here

Don't forget to leave your thoughts in the comments below! And if you want to know more about me you can check out all my social media, the links are in the top bar. 

Love: Kiki

Comments