Exploring Kaikoura and Hanmer Springs

Kaikoura

I have allways been a sucker for pretty beach and ocean landscapes, but Kaikoura just tops it all!


The Cliff walk on the very top of Kaikoura and takes around 2 hours with return if you are taking as many breaks as we did to fully take in the whole landscape.



The walk is on the very edge of the Cliff and ccontinues to lead to the top of the peninsula.


Besides the ocean and awesome (I literally had to remind myself to take a breath) scenery you can also observe seals in their natural habitat.





The weather was quite hot and yet super windy so if I have one tip for you it would be to always wear sunscreen mixed with tea tree oil against sandflies, coming from a girl with a burned nose! 

Matt talked me into leaving the path to climb up a pretty steep hill, which was quite the adventure, but totally worth it! you could see everything on top of the hill and it was just beautiful to lay down and relax while having a little picknick.



The walk starts (and ends since it ia a return track) in a truly paradise similar setting, the view, the scenery and just everything about this walk is awesome.


Accomodationwise we stayed at the free camping spot next to the ocean which was out of this world scenery wise, big waves, beautiful rocky beach and a few trees for shelter. It did not have a water suply but the toilet was a ok, eventhough you had to walk for a good 5 minutes.

Hanmer Springs

 

We decided that it was time for a little pampering, because even the best backpackers do need a little rest. Hanmer Springs is beautiful, a small village with  cute little shops and of course the thermal hot pools. We spend the first afternoon walking up to a waterfall.


It was a 2 1/2 hour return walk. Now don't get me wrong, I love hiking, but that track made me doubt myself more than once. It takes 1 hour and 40 Minutes to get to the waterfall and it is a steep uphill walk. Walking uphill for 1 hour and 40 minutes is not only physically but also mentally challening, but in the end I was super proud of myself that I made it.



We spend the night (and the following) on a free camping spot just outside of town and met two really nice lokals who gave us the tip to go blackberry picking in the forest.
The blackberries were a little hard to find but totally worth the search, they are simply delicious.



 In the first night on the free camping spot we had a little visitor at 3 am in the night on top of our car. This guy was knocking on our roof, making the weirdest noises and freaking me out, I have never been this scared in my life yet as far as I know. Matt handled the situation heriocally.



 And that's it for today, if you want to see more pictures, make sure to follow me on my social media in the top bar!
Love: Kiki (no heart because I don't have a number pad here)

Comments