Franz Josef and Fox Glacier

Driving from Hokitika to Franz Josef was the first time I drove on the left side of the street and it was scary, I kept turning on the windshield wipers instead of the turning signal and the other way around.
Before arriving at in Franz Josef we stopped on the road to witness an abandoned bridge in the most beautiful water I have ever seen.



Franz Josef


We stayed two night in the Glowworm backpackers, which was just awesome, I was able to call my Grandma from their landline and I will never get tired of hearing how happy she is every time I call when I travel! We spend one day just being lazy, doing yoga and watching movies because it was raining and the glaciers weren't visual due to fog. The next day we were finally able to explore the glaciers.


I have seen glaciers before and wasn't too impressed with the Fox Glacier. It is a nice walk and quite stunning scenery, but too many tourists if you ask me.


All though it did have pretty waterfalls that can be seen every where around the glacier, especially after rain.


The glacier itself was beautiful with it's icy blue colors and rocks of ice! 



The water coming from the glacier was the cleanest I have ever seen (besides the one in Pupu springs
I had to climb down to the small pond and couldn't resist the temptation to drink a little, it tasted awesome, but I am not entirely sure it's legal... whoops? I got some really mean looks from other tourists passing us. 


Fox Glacier


Now Fox Glacier was a whole new level! The walk was so awesome and adventurous, still quite touristy, but the people were spread over a way bigger field.


On the side of the walk were so many stunning waterfalls that just added up to an unreal atmosphere. 


The walk up leads through an river bed and there are DOC-workers constantly improving and re-leading the walk, because the riverbed is constantly changing. Waterproof shoes are a total must! 


The glacier itself is kind of meh, but the surrounding is stunning. 



Did I promise too much about the glacier valley?!



When driving down to Haast we stopped at a beautiful beach named bruce bay! The waves came crashing into the bay filling the whole lookout with the most calming sounds. 


Just down the street was the knights point lookout which is sadly closed, however you still have a pretty good view from up there! 


And that's it for the Glacier region! for more pictures make sure to follow me on my social media in the top bar and make sure to leave all your comments and questions in the comment section below!

I hope you are all having an amazing week! 
Love: Kiki ♥ 

Comments